The cave No. 465 is located in the north end of the cliff, approximately a kilometre away from the other decorated caves. It is the only cave in Dunhuang containing Tantrayana Buddhist iconography in typical Tibetan style (see also). The cave dates to the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368AD).
The project is jointly organized by the Dunhuang Acaemy (DHA) and the Isabel and Balz Baechi Foundation (IBBF).
The aim of the two-week on-site workshop was to achieve a better understanding of the wall paintings and their deterioration processes, as well as to give recommendations for further steps in investigation and analysis to provide the basis for the development of the conservation plan.
The project will be continued in June 2013 with another two weeks on-site workshop.